Stacy Branyan, Realtor

courtesy of usaa.com

Serving Baton Rouge & Surrounding Areas

Direct: 225-229-0451


The federal government considers floods the nation's most common natural disaster. They strike every state and leave homeowners with huge repair costs, but most homeowners insurance policies don't protect from those losses. Why? Because typical homeowners insurance doesn't cover flood damage. Those policies may provide protection for water damage when it comes through a hole in the roof or from wind-driven rain, but coverage doesn't extend to damage caused by water from a storm-swollen river, torrential rainfall, or other flood-inducing conditions. Homeowners are required to purchase flood insurance if they have a federally backed mortgage and live in a high-risk flood area as identified by the National Flood Insurance Program. For other types of loans, it is often required by the lender if the home is located in one of these high risk areas.

The first step is to determine if you live in a flood zone as specified by FEMA. The flood plains in the Baton Rouge area vary greatly. Below is a link to the FEMA Flood Map Service Center. Simply key in your address in the search field and click the "search" button. On the next screen you will see a generic map of your address with a symbol on the left to view your flood map.  For more information, contact me at 225-229-0451 or homes@stacybranyan.com.